Friday, February 27, 2009

2009 - Hops Coming Back!!!

I was up late last night working and caught the most recent episode of Basic Brewing Radio talking about top cropping yeast from a carboy. During the outro, James indicated that hops were starting to poke out of the ground in Arkansas, and since I live only a few hours away, I wondered about my hops. So I went out today and checked, and one of my cascade mounds is showing signs of life already!


This is one of the plants that I left some of the bottom bines attached to the crown, wrapped them in a coil and covered with dirt. This weekend I'll probably unearth the top of the mound and see where the growth is coming from. If it is from the coiled bines, I'll probably trim the 'rhizome' and transplant to replace the cascade plant I lost last year.

2 comments:

VitallyWell said...

I am jealous of your hop growing season. You have a couple month head start on us northerners (MN). I will follow along this growing season. Best of luck.

Josh said...

Thanks for the interest in my blog! I'll be putting up a new post in a bit. The growth I was seeing was due to my rhizome experiment which I dug up on Saturday!