Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cascade Rhizome!!!

Well, I couldn't stand not knowing what that growth was from. I was hoping it was due to my attempt to create some rhizomes to replace the cascade I lost due to storms last year, and to start new plants. If it survives.....

Using a small stick, I gently started digging away at the hop mound. I couldn't remember exactly how I had left the crown on this and didn't want to damage any of the plant. After about five minutes of labor, here is what I found:

This plant at the end of last season had one main bine with several offshoots as you can see. The main bine heading down into the ground is right at the center of the picture, so everything you see is the resulting rhizome!

So I trimmed the rhizome right at ground level and carefully replaced all the dirt mound on top of the remaining plant. The trimmed rhizome was then taken inside for a few more pictures and a replanting in a hanging basket for some pampering. Here's hoping it survives and I can plant it out in the garden at the end of March!

Here are a few more pictures of the rhizome:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I have adopted a crop of Hops since I have moved in to my house and have some starting to shoot out of the ground. Not sure of the species, however I will bring some in to work and have my botanist figure it out. I'm about to build my fence along where they currently are buried. I have started digging up the larger rhizomes I have found to transplant them after the fence has been built. It's amazing how hardy they are yet there was a shortage. I will be blogging about the work I'm doing in my yard.

Cheers!